Did you know a recent research shows, a routine of brisk walking of only 35 minutes a day, four times a week can combat strokes in senior citizens?
How does walking benefit?
As one ages, exercise becomes strenuous to the body and the heart after the age of 40. Brisk walking, is the easiest way for the elderly to get fit and stay healthy. Walking has several benefits that could improve one’s wellbeing in various ways:
- Muscles and bones are worked out and strengthened, Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis can be prevented.
- Minimizing risks of strokes, cardiac diseases, diabetes and colon cancer.
- Helps flexibility in joints.
- Keeps you fit and weight steady.
- Lowers anxiety and depression.
- Increases stamina and energy
- Helps concentration and stay active.
- Non-dependency: – The capability to walk without any support gives you the confidence or the boost to live independently.
Checkpoints before you start walking:
- Speak to your family Doctor/General Physician to know how much walking or exercising your body can take. Don’t make decisions based on what you read online.
- Buy a pair of good walking to running shoes/sneakers.
- Use a cane or a walker if you are prescribed/advised to do so.
- Choose a time-slot for yourself during the day, this will help you keep a routine.
Best Places For A Walk In Thane
Below mentioned are TMC’s Nana- Nani Parks and few other gardens open for various activities for the Elderly, so pick a track and start your walking regime, today!
- Saket Rd, Laxmi Nagar;
- Thane Mahanagar Palika’s Nana-Nani Park at Padwal Nagar, Near Natral Apartments
- Mental Hospital Rd, Dharamveer Nagar
- Karvalo Nagar, Thane West
- Panch Pakhadi, Thane West
- Palash Upvan Gawand Baug, B-wing, Kokanipada, IIT Area
- Aaji Aajaba Udyan, Shree Nateshwar Mahadev Mandir Road, Ganeshwadi
- Thane Mahanagar Palika – Nana Nani Park – K. Villa Garden, Near Chintamani Society, K. Villa, Prabhakar Hegde Road
- Swatantra Senani Duttaji Tamhane Nana-Nani Park, 13, Brahmand Patlipada Link Rd, Brahmand
- Nana Nani Park, Vitawa Khadi, 1, Thane – Belapur Rd, Budhaji Nagar, Kalwa
- Budhaji Nagar in Kalwa West
These are our top picks of the best places to visit in Thane for a walk. Do you have any suggestions you would add to the list? Tell us in the comments below.
Stay Healthy, Keep Walking!